Friday, March 18, 2011

Insecurity....

Day 18 - A picture of your biggest insecurity


Biggest insecurity? I'm going to go with....my muscles. They've been a blessing an curse... kinda. Blessing because they make me have super human strength and dominate other girls on the field. A lot of my teammates will agree that typically if I run into you (whether it's an accident or on purpose), I am usually not the one that ends up on the ground. So they have helped me be an aggressive and strong athlete and they were put to good use in lax in my college years.


And they're been a curse because when i was little I always always got teased about them. Like I would always get teased about if i could beat up my boyfriend. Or if my muscles were bigger than my boyfriend.  Or constantly feeling embarrassed by people asking me to flex like i was some kind of freak show. 


At this point in my life though, I have worked through these issues of this and they're definitely a great thing. I like being strong. I like having muscles. I like breaking all-time lifting records on bench and squat max (had to throw that in there...).  But it did take some time to get where I am today. And that, folks, is my insecurity. Here is a picture of me when I was 9....as you can see, I already had some pretty sick traps, delts and bis :)



2 comments:

  1. If only we could learn to love our bodies/body parts for their utility rather than for the perceived aesthetic shortcomings... (In particular, maybe some day we can learn to love tummy pooches and other "fat deposits" as cushioning that keeps us warm?? Maybe??)

    Love you Jenny! And I would kill for your muscles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA that picture is classic... is that Jerry Collins' work? & I could still beat you up.

    ReplyDelete